Thursday, March 10, 2011

BLOG 1 - Private & Public Self

In life we all have a private self and a public self. The two selves determine how we interact with friends, family, co-worker, strangers, etc. For some the private self and public self are the same they say and do what is on their mind no matter what. For most they are completely different almost like you are two different people in one body.

My private self I am more outgoing and outspoken. I could interact with my friend’s laugh and joke and play around without any worries about what I’m saying or doing is right or wrong. Private self is the way you want to be all the time but its not always possible. My public self I’m more to myself, self-conscience of what I do because how I’m viewed to the public is important to me. I pride myself in being professional and respect to others making my public side stronger than the other. I want to be accepted by society outside my close circle.
Private self is the way you interact with someone who is closer to you like family or friends. Your private self could show its true feeling about something or someone. In private you could have an opinion about something and say what your truly feeling. You could offend someone in front of your best friend without their being any consequence. Without people judging you basing an opinion about you. Your friends understands how you think and you probably get along with them because in many ways you are alike and share similarities that allow you to truly express yourself. Private self keeps you sane it balances you out making you unique from others.

Public self is the way you interact with a coworker, your boss, your teacher or strangers. In your public self you tend to shelter yourself. You are more likely to accept things that are said to you without reacting the way you would in your private self. In public you’re more respectful to others because you want to be accepted by your boss to get that raise next month or because you want to get an A in that class. Public self removes most of the negative parts of you filters you out.

The differences between public and private self could be problematic if they clash with each other for example if your public self at work some how leads to your private self to coming out. If you’re at work and get into an argument with your boss then there’s a problem causing you to lose your cool and overreact. I believe that the differences between the two selves are not problematic because it helps you separate yourself. Private is more personal and public is how you should act in a professional environment. Both of them combined complement each other. Shows us how different we could be and at the same time how alike we could be.

In conclusion Public and Private self is what helps us get through our day. They both help us stabilize and balance ourselves to get through life. They differ in any many ways but work together to get the same results.

3 comments:

  1. "Public self removes most of the negative parts of you filters you out." I honestly felt that you best phrased it here. I was looking for the words myself to describe Public self but this is for sure on point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great description of the two I like the elaboration. I agree 100% private self is how one would act, not worrying about society what thinks. I believe that everyone should be happy and enjoy life as long it is not hurting anyone. But in public one must change their conduct, if it is compised of negativity even though there are those who dont.

    ReplyDelete