Thursday, May 12, 2011

BLOG 15

Security is definitely important in society to protect everyone from crime but some of the measures of security I am against. I believe Internet privacy is a huge problem. The idea that everything I search on Google is monitored is a huge concern. If I search how to make a bomb on the Internet doesn’t mean I’m going to make a bomb it could be out of curiosity. This doesn’t mean I should get flagged and put on a TSA list that could stop me from leaving the state or country. Flagged searches should be monitored if the person is also using the Internet to purchase chemicals that relate to the information found on the site. I personally believe the person who is publishing this information should be flagged and held responsible.

Google is a huge concern in general because they save all of your search history for up to a year and than supposedly get rid of it. Even though they say they will not sell your information to a 3rd Party that could be until they are in desperate need of money and you suddenly start receiving junk email from companies you never heard of.

An interesting point brought up in class yesterday about cookies in the web browser how they are used for advertisement so the next time you do a search you suddenly begin to see ads about booking flights or buy sports tickets. Facebook is also using something as innocent on their site as the “Like” button to advertise products throughout the page. I wonder do we get flagged if you like a page that says, “I hate Bush.”

Some means of security are acceptable and most people would agree. For example all the extra steps to board a plane like taking your belts and shoes off or random person search helps relax me and makes me feel comfortable and safe especially after a post 9/11 world. Sure this is a time consuming process and some of the things they do at the airport are embarrassing, but would you rather have someone sit next to you holding a weapon or explosive, I think not.

No comments:

Post a Comment