The archives essay introduced me to using primary sources like news paper articles and interviews. When reading the interview given by Robert Fitch to Roger Starr later in his life, it gave you an idea of the way he thought of people and some of his influences that made him think Planned Shrinkage was good for the city of New York. I wish they would have had the audio/video version of the interviews so I could see his facial expressions when he discussed certain topics.
The introduction given to us at the LaGuardia archives was very informative. Our instructor showed us how to analyze an interview to gather other information. For example Roger Starr mentions a conversation he had with Robert Moses. Unless you already knew who Moses was you would have to do some research on his history and his effect on New York City. I could definitely see myself returning to the archives in the future to assist me with gathering sources and even help analyze those sources.
After completing the major research essay, I believe the archives essay was more difficult because we were given specific information to use instead of using sources from the internet or the library. While writing the archives essay I feared having a paper identical to others because everyone was using the same information. The thought was on my mind that maybe I left something out that was vital to the paper since you chose the topic and the sources we had to use.
No comments:
Post a Comment